2013-04-10

Some of the best authors ever provided today's writing advice. Just tell me if you have ever applied their suggestions and if you found them useful.

Enjoy!



^^^^^^^^^^^

“Write what should not be forgotten.”
-- Isabel Allende

“Atticus told me to delete the adjectives and I'd have the facts.”
-- Harper Lee


“Don't say it was delightful; make us say delightful when we've read the description. You see, all those words (horrifying, wonderful, hideous, exquisite) are only like saying to your readers Please will you do the job for me.”
-- C.S. Lewis

“Write without pay until somebody offers to pay.”
-- Mark Twain


“I don't think anybody can teach anybody anything. I think that you learn it, but the young writer that is as I say demon-driven and wants to learn and has got to write, he don't know why, he will learn from almost any source that he finds. He will learn from older people who are not writers, he will learn from writers, but he learns it -- you can't teach it.”
-- William Faulkner


“Prose is architecture, not interior decoration.”
-- Ernest Hemingway

^^^^^^^

Do you have any quote you'd like to share?

Why do you write?

I enjoyed this passage by Stephen King: "Writing isn't about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid, or making friends. In the end it's about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life as well. [...] Writing is magic, as much the water of life as any other creative art. The water is free. So drink. Drink and be filled up."


Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Follow me on Twitter!